The Vorhees Vision Scholarship was created to reward the achievements of young individuals who demonstrate a true entrepreneurial spirit in their lives as they pursue their educational goals. This scholarship is named in honor of the late Terry L. Vorhees, founder and first Executive Director of the Southeast Produce Council. Because of his vision and efforts, the Southeast Produce Council became and remains one of the best resources in the produce industry today.
One college-aged student (graduating high school senior or current college student) will receive a one-time scholarship of $5000 for educational financial aid.
Congratulations to our 2019 Vorhees Vision Scholarship recipient:
Paul and Karen Mocettini
Muzzi Family Farms
Thank you to all of our scholarship applicants!
Who is eligible to apply for the Vorhees Vision Scholarship?
- Graduating High School Seniors
- College Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors who are enrolled as full-time students (minimum 12 semester hours)
- Children & Grandchildren of any SEPC Corporate Member in good standing*
*Member has been on the SEPC membership roster for at least 12 months and has attended at least one event (Southern Exposure and/or Southern Innovations) within the last 12 months.
What is necessary to complete the application?
- Grade Point Average- Minimum 3.0
- Letters of Recommendation from High School and/or College Staff, Clergy, Community Leaders, etc.
- SAT or ACT scores
- Leadership and Community Service involvement
- 1000-word essay (minimum) describing a time in your life when you have failed at something and how that failure has affected you
Where do I submit my application?
The application can only be submitted online through our link which will be provided beginning November 5, 2018. The application deadline is January 18, 2019 at 5pm EST.
Who are the judges?
Members of the SEPC Scholarship Committee.
*All judges will be impartial when judging each redacted essay. All participant names and company references will be redacted before judging. If any judge has a personal relationship with any participant, that judge will be asked to recuse themselves from judging and replaced.
When will the scholarship recipient be announced?
The scholarship will be awarded February 22, 2019. One (1) $5,000.00 scholarship will be awarded to the scholarship recipient’s enrolling College/University.